Wednesday, September 29, 2010

response to 9/30 readings

While reading for tomorrow's class, I got to thinking about my own views on intersex, transgender, and transexual people.  I realized how uncomfortable I was even thinking about them.  Yes, I believe that everyone should be equal.  I believe that gender lines should not exist so that people who do not feel as if they fit within the identify of male or female can identify and can feel unwelcome.  I believe in all of the stuff Fausto-Sterling talks about but I STILL am uncomfortable.  I feel as if I am a very open and accepting person and the fact that I have trouble grasping and understanding a majority of this material goes to show how society might have an equally hard time.  It is frustrating because I know its wrong but it is so deeply engrained within me that people are either male or female.  It is hard to see past these lines.  I honestly got scared during class on Tuesday thinking about if I had a baby and if it was intersex or if it grew up to think in a transexual manner.  What would I do?  Thinking about it, I thought it would make my life abnormal, troublesome, and full of worry and fear.  But I can't think that way.  I guess I can say that a goal I now have, and that I was made aware of last class and through these readings, is to become more accepting and open to transexualism, transgender, and intersex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment