Monday, November 8, 2010

Response to 11/9 Readings

After reading the articles assigned for class, I began to think about my own beliefs regarding abortion.  I have always considered myself pro-life and I still support that immensely.  However, after reading the articles, I came to realize women should not be divided between pro-choice and pro-life.  We should be pro-help.  We should help women in whatever decision they make and not judge.  It seems that one of the hardest parts of making a decision in regards to an abortion is what everyone else thinks.  And that should not be the case.  Other people's thoughts should not necessarily be taken into consideration.  The choice should be 100% your own.  Yet, our society is structured in a way that other people's opinions do become a part of our own decision.  People's judgements are intimidating and fearsome.  This should not happen.  We should accept each and every individual decision and just be supporting.

Furthermore, I was curious to see what pro-life media and advertisements looked like.  I looked at a couple websites and each one seemed to use fear tactics or intimidation techniques.  Horrifying pictures of fetuses etc. were displayed.  Some were too graphic that I don't even want to describe them.  I did find a picture that I think Allison Crews talked about:
I just hate that people would use such techniques to try and influence women.  And I'm not saying pro-choice is perfect either.  But women should have the right to do whatever they want and EVERYONE should support that.  It is no one else's battle and it should be no one else's choice.  The government should not be allowed to decide if a woman should birth a child or not.  That's insane to me. 

I also found a website that had speeches by a young girl, Claire, who looked like she was only 7 years old or so.  She talks about pro-life.  That is extremely disturbing to me.  People can be pro-life and I support that.  But young children should not be forced to have certain beliefs based on their parents beliefs.  A 7 year old girl is not going to have her own opinions yet on abortion.  By forcing opinions on her, she will have trouble forming her own beliefs and ideas.  Everyone should be able to make up their own mind.  This was similar to Allison Crews as she said she would protest for pro-life outside of abortion clinics before she was 10 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment